Community

A “Spooktacular” will run from 5-8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 11, at Lions Park Center, 1104 Lions Park Dr., Elk River. Activities will include a costume contest, food, games, crafts, hayrides, trick-or-treating and more. Early bird registration by 4:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 10, is $6 per child online at www.ElkRiverMN.gov or in person at Elk River Parks [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon

• First-time event brought in about $14,000 for suicide prevention, mental health awareness by Jim Boyle Editor Before they walked, ran, biked and in-line skated, participants in the first Thumbs Up High 5K stretched, moved around to stay warm, heard speakers and released 300 yellow balloons in River’s Edge Commons Park in downtown Elk River to [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon

Download coupon for 50% off one item – then head to your favorite Goodwill store and brew up an awesome costume for less. By Sarah Carlson Editor, Real Housewives of Minnesota Every year, I tell myself that I’m going to top last year’s Halloween costumes. I aim to be craftier, trendier – and most importantly, [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon
Brought to you by

(Editor’s note: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.) by Joni Astrup Associate Editor Ten years ago this fall, Jody Schwab got a phone call that rocked her world. It was her doctor, telling her that she had breast cancer. “When you hear the word ‘cancer,’ that’s like that moment you’ll never, ever forget,” Schwab said. “The [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon

The first ever Thumbs Up High 5K Walk, Run, Bike and Blade will take place at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 4, in downtown Elk River. The Thumbs Up High 5K event was created to spread awareness about depression, mental health and suicide awareness. Registration is available at www.active.com (under Thumbs Up High 5K). It is [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon

• Oct. 4 walk, run, bike and blade event to raise mental health, suicide awareness resonating in Elk River by Jim Boyle Editor The Thumbs Up High 5K – a walk, run, bike and in-line skate event for mental health and suicide awareness – is gaining traction. Nearly 300 people have signed up, including more than [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon

Photo by Debbie Griffin Zimmerman High School crowns king, queen ZHS crowned seniors Julia Ward and Reid Inman as homecoming queen and king at a spirit rally Sept. 26 before the big game.

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon

• Show of unity helps Sherburne, Wright county chapters kick off fall campaigns by Jim Boyle Editor Supporters of Sherburne County Area United Way and Wright County Area United Way gathered on Sept. 25 at West Bridge Park in Monticello to show their connectedness as the organizations head into their 2014 fall fundraising campaigns. When [...]

facebook icon
twitter icon
comments icon
up arrow
up arrow