The unbeaten, top-ranked Elk River tennis team turned back the Osseo Orioles 7-0 at home Friday, then looked ahead to a challenging tournament on Saturday.
The Elks won all seven points handily, never giving up more than one game. Still, Elk coach Randy Ronning praised Osseo for showing marked improvement under coach John Liccardi, with four wins this year.
It was the Elks 75th straight conference win as they improved to 5-0 in the Northwest Suburban and 12-0 overall.
On Saturday at home, beginning 10 a.m., the Elks will face No. 4 Mounds View, a strong Burnsville team that’s just outside the top 10, along with Forest Lake, whose lineup is headed by one of the top singles players, Toby Boyer.
“Big day at the local courts!” said Ronning.
Elk River 7, Osseo 0
(1) Sam Gearou, ER, def Pete Berno 6-1, 6-1
(2) Josh Gearou, ER, def Cody Werner, 6-0, 6-0
(3) Nathan Chanthamontry, ER, def Benji Ameyaw, 6-0, 6-0
(4) Tyler Creelman, ER, def Shawn Nolobeeli 6-0, 6-1
(1) Jordan Haack-Noah Steichen, ER, def Derek Brown-Joshua Malvaney 6-0, 6-1
(2) Logann Burns-Zeke Delain, ER, def Thor Thao-Connor Dahlberg 6-1, 6-0
(3) Joe Wetherille-Nick Tran, ER, def Mitchell Brewer-Henry Ho 6-1, 6-0