Suspect in armed T-Mobile robbery caught

• Gable extradited from Chicago to be arraigned in Sherburne County Tenth District Court

by Jim Boyle


Anthony Marterell Gable, the suspect in the Oct. 22, 2013, armed robbery of an Elk River T-Mobile store, has been extradited from Chicago to Elk River and made his first court appearance April 11.

According to a warrant for his arrest filed Dec. 20, 2013, the defendant, 38, has been charged with aggravated robbery in the first degree in Sherburne County 10th District Court.

Authorities have had help from an Elk River apartment manager and the Minnesota State Highway Patrol along the way to build their case against the armed robbery suspect.


Elk River Police was called to the T-Mobile store, located at 18220 Zane St., at about 7:37 p.m. Oct. 22 on a report of an armed robbery.  Upon arrival, officers met with the store manager who told police he was sitting behind the front counter in the store when he heard the door chime, indicating someone had entered the store.

He looked up and saw an African American man standing before him, wearing a surgical mask, a black stocking cap and a camouflage jacket, according to the criminal complaint.

He told the T-Mobile employee “this is a stick up” and he pointed a gun at him, he complaint added. The robber demanded all of the iPhones and iPads, and the employee complied.

The man also took the store clerk’s personal phone and car keys as well and ordered him to give him the money from the cash register.

The alleged robber took the store employee to a back bathroom and told him to count to 100, according to the complaint. He also reportedly told the victim that if he came out earlier, there would be someone in the parking lot to shoot him.

Elk River Police went to surrounding businesses and apartments to speak with clerks and gather surveillance footage.

Two days later, the police got a call that someone matching the description of the suspect near The Depot Apartments, located at 10653 172nd Ave. The apartment manager was able to obtain surveillance video that showed two males leaving the apartment building at 6:44 p.m. One male was wearing was wearing glasses, a camouflage jacket and black shoes with red in them as well as a stocking cap, according to the criminal complaint.

They reportedly returned at 7:47 p.m., the complaint said.

The apartment manager could not identify the males but was able to determine what apartment unit they had visited.

An Elk River Police Detective learned that shortly after the robbery, the Minnesota State Patrol responded to a complaint of a suspicious person, who was identified as Anthony Marterell Gable.

The troopers asked the suspicious person what he was doing at the apartment complex, and he said he was there to visit his cousin.

The trooper asked the man to identify himself. He complained he was being detained but retrieved his wallet and ID anyway.

The trooper noted that the person had an inch or inch and 1/2 thick stack of currency in his wallet. The person also had in his possession two different cellphones and a black stocking cap.

Then on Oct. 30, the Elk River Police detective working the case met with a woman who said she recently met Gable online. She recalled for police that the defendant came to her residence at The Depot Apartments at about 6 p.m. Oct. 22, the complaint said.

The defendant told her the man who was with him was his cousin. She said about 7 p.m. both men left the apartment, saying they were headed to Walmart, the complaint said. The defendant was described as wearing a camouflage jacket and a black hat.

After they were gone for a while, the woman and her sister went to Walmart. She tried to call the defendant but it went right to voice mail, the complaint said.

When she was leaving Walmart, she told police she saw police cars at the T-Mobile store.

When she returned to her apartment, she said, the defendant was there and had a different cellphone than what he had earlier in the evening. She also noted he was no longer wearing a camouflage jacket.

The defendant told her it was in the vehicle, the complaint said.

She told police the defendant was angry with her for not being home when they got back because the police had been there.

The defendant offered her a new cellphone but said that he needed to wipe it down first.

Gable faces 20 years imprisonment and or a $35,000 fine.