An explosion at a Rogers apartment complex forced evacuation of hundreds of residents, but not one resident or firefighter was injured.
At approximately 8:41 a.m. Sunday, the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office Dispatch received multiple calls of an explosion at an apartment complex located at 13600 Commerce Boulevard in Rogers.
When officials from Rogers Police and Rogers Fire arrived on the scene, large flames and smoke were observed coming from a generator on the northeast corner of the property. Shortly before officers arrived, the large backup generator, which was running on propane, exploded. Gas continued to leak from the generator causing several smaller explosions after the initial blast, according to the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Department.
No one was injured during the explosion and no first responders sustained injuries during the incident.
Approximately 400-500 residents living at the Preserve at Commerce apartment complex were immediately evacuated. Residents were relocated to the Hampton Inn and the Rogers 18 Theatre. The American Red Cross, Salvation Army are helping victims displaced by the explosion.
Mutual aid response from the following police, fire, and EMS include: Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office, Wright County Sheriff’s Office, Brooklyn Center Police Department, Brooklyn Park Police Department, Minnesota State Patrol, Corcoran Police Department, Osseo Police Department, Dayton Police Department, Three Rivers Park Police, Plymouth Police, Maple Grove Fire Department, Dayton Fire Department, North Memorial Ambulance.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office and Office of Pipeline Safety are investigating the incident.