CITY OF ELK RIVER
A Resolution of the City of Elk River Approving Notice of Summary Publication of Ordinance No. 13-19, an Ordinance Amending Section 30-01, Entitled Definitions and Chapter 30, Article VI, Division 5, Subdivision II, Entitled Signs, of the City of Elk River Minnesota, City Code
WHEREAS, on December 16, 2013, the Elk River City Council adopted Ordinance No. 13-19 amending certain sections of Chapter 30 of the City of Elk River Code of Ordinances pertaining to signs; and
WHEREAS, Minnesota Statutes, Section 412.191, Subd. 4 allows publication by title and summary in the case of lengthy ordinances; and
WHEREAS, the City Council finds that the following summary will clearly inform the public on the intent and effect of Ordinance No. 13-19; and
WHEREAS, a copy of the full text of Ordinance No. 13-19 is available for inspection by any person at the office of the Elk River City Clerk, 13065 Orono Parkway, during regular business hours 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the City Council of the City of Elk River, Minnesota, as follows: That the City Council, by at least four-fifths votes, authorizes publication of the title and the following summary of Ordinance No. 13-19.
During their December 16, 2013, meeting, the City Council adopted Ordinance No. 13-19, an ordinance amending Section 30-01, entitled Definitions and Chapter 30, Article VI, Division 5, Subdivision II, entitled Signs.
In summary, Ordinance No. 13-19 makes the following seven (7) changes to chapter 30 of the city code:
1. Permits monument signs in the Downtown Zoning District having a height and size relating to building size and a maximum height of 20 feet and sign area of 80 square feet.
2. Regulates wall sign size at 15% of building faade area, and permits wall signs on any faade not directly adjacent a residential use or zone.
3. Increases the size of temporary signs from 48 to 56 square feet and removes the requirement to display the permit on the sign.
4. Increases the maximum height of advertising signs (billboards) from 25 to 35 feet and uses the adjacent roadway as the basis for measuring height.
5. Expands regulations for digital changeable copy signs.
6. Adds additional area identification sign regulations, including permitted locations and sizes.
7. Makes general amendments and changes to improve consistency, clarity, and readability.
Passed and adopted this 16th day of December 2013.
John J. Dietz, Mayor
ATTEST: Tina Allard, City Clerk
Published in the
December 28, 2013
CITY OF ELK RIVER