The Elk River tennis team lost to unbeaten section rival Forest Lake for the second time this season, 5-2, at home on Saturday in a four-team event.
However, it was a much closer match this time, as four of the Rangers’ five wins were third-set tiebreakers, including a 12-10 score and a 10-8 score, keeping the Elks’ hopes up for an upset if they meet again in sectionals.
Forest Lake swept doubles and won at one-two singles, while the Elks’ points came from Jen Koehler and Lauren Brayden at No. 3 and 4 singles.
The Elks (13-4) beat Hibbing-Chisholm 7-0. They were supposed to play Andover, too, but that one was scratched because the other matches took too long.
Forest Lake, 19-0 and ranked No. 7, beat Andover 4-3 and Hibbing-Chisholm 4-0.
The Elks have won the section seven straight years, beating Forest Lake in six of those years. Forest Lake also beat the Elks 5-2 in a Duluth tournament Sept. 7.
Next for the Elks is a duel for the conference lead, and likely the championship, at Centennial on Tuesday. Both teams have one conference loss.
Elks 7, Hibbing-Chisholm 0
(1) Meagan Brown, ER, def Kayle Marschalk 6-1, 6-0
(2) Annika Teske, ER, def Rachel Smilanich 6-0, 6-0
(3) Jen Koehler, ER, def Cassie Butler 6-0, 6-0
(4) Lauren Brayden, ER, def Molly Scipioni 6-1, 6-0
(1) Becca O’Connell-Hadley Purdy, ER, def Janelle Shea-Raini Hayblom 6-3, 6-3
(2) Erin Reiner-Emma Hannegraaf, ER, def Jordan Hyduke-Sara Hoag 6-1, 6-0
(3) Dani Dokken-Brooke Burns, ER, def Maria Valentini-Hannah Wentland 6-0, 6-2
Forest Lake 5, Elk River 2
(1) Taylor Shortly, FL, def Meagan Brown 3-6, 6-3, 10-4
(2) Chase Shortly, FL, def Annika Teske 6-4, 4-6, 12-10
(3) Jen Koehler, ER, def Meagan Anderson 6-4, 6-3
(4) Lauren Brayden, ER, def Nori Vierra 6-1, 7-6 (7-1)
(1) Bailey Norby-Taylor Emly, FL, def Hadley Purdy-Becca O’Connell 6-1, 5-7, 10-3
(2) Danielle Wright-Taylor Angela, FL, def Emma Hannegraaf-Erin Reiner 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 10-8
(3) Lindsey Tilton-Risa Anderson, FL, def Dani Dokken-Brooke Burns 6-1, 7-5