Elk River won two matches at the Duluth East tournament while losing to Forest Lake 5-2 on Saturday, an outcome that firmly established the Rangers as the team to beat in Section 7AA.
The Elks, who beat Duluth East 5-2 and Mahtomedi 4-3, took a 4-1 record into this tournament, with the other three teams all coming in undefeated in duals. Forest Lake was 8-0, Duluth East 10-0 and Mahtomedi 4-0.
Forest Lake beat all three teams 5-2 and improved to 11-0.
Elk River has won their section seven straight years, frequently beating Forest Lake in the playoffs. The Rangers lost to the Elks in last year’s final but have six seniors anchoring a strong lineup this year.
“They are very strong this year. They have a deep line up with a lot of experienced varsity players,” said Elk coach Leroyce Chapman about the Rangers.
Forest Lake split singles and swept doubles against the Elks. Their No. 1 doubles of Bailey Norby and Taylor Emly squeezed past Elk co-captains Hadley Purdy and Becca O’Connell 6-3, 7-5. The Elk duo pulled out third-set tie-breaker wins the other two matches.
The Elks still feel they’re in the hunt for another state trip.
“We do get to see them one more time before sections,” said Chapman, “and I know we can play them close and definitely have a chance at winning. It was a motivating day for the girls to see how bad Forest Lake wanted it. Forest Lake will work hard but we are determined to work harder.”
Forest Lake will be in Elk River for another quad on Sept. 21.
The Elks (6-2) will host Coon Rapids on Tuesday.
Forest Lake 5, Elk River 2
(1) Meagan Brown, ER, def Taylor Shortly 6-3, 2-6, 10-8
(2) Chase Shortly, FL, def Annika Teske 6-3, 6-1
(3) Jen Koehler, ER, def Taylor Angela 6-1, 6-1
(4) Noel Vierra, FL, def Erin Reiner 6-0, 6-1
(1) Bailey Norby-Taylor Emly, FL, def Hadley Purdy-Becca O’Connell 6-3, 7-5
(2) Natalie Wright-Megan Anderson, FL, def Lauren Brayden-Emma Hannegraff 6-4, 6-3
(3) Risa Anderson-Lindsey Tilton, FL, def Brooke Burns-Danielle Dokken 6-2, 6-3
Elk River 5, Duluth East 2
(1) Meagan Brown, ER, def Elise Hauer 7-5, 6-0
(2) Annika Teske, ER, def Kendra Berry 6-3, 6-1
(3) Maya Callaway, DE, def Jen Koehler 6-4, 6-3
(4) Brynne Hauer, DE, def Lauren Brayden 6-3, 6-3
(1) Becca O’Connell-Hadley Purdy, ER, def Annagrace Norr-Josie Humphreys 6-3, 4-6, 10-8
(2) Emma Hannegraaf-Erin Reiner, ER, def Hannah Koch-Maeve Maron 7-5, 6-4
(3) Gates LeSavage-Serena Wilmers, DE, def Brooke Burns-Danielle Dokken 6-1, 7-5
Elk River 4, Mahtomedi 3
(1) Olivia Paradise, Mah, def Meagan Brown 6-3, 6-1
(2) Annika Teske, ER, def Meara Damodaran 6-2, 6-1
(3) Jen Koehler, ER, def Hanna Shands 6-4, 6-1
(4) Erin Hoffman, Mah, def Danielle Dokken 6-2, 6-1
(1) Becca O’Connell-Hadley Purdy, ER, def Emily Cooper-Madison Fernandez 1-6, 6-2, 10-5
(2) Emily Fraser-Alex Kent, Mah, def Emma Hannegraaf-Lauren Brayden 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
(3) Brooke Burns-Erin Reiner, ER, def Anna Stutz-Maggie Rierman 6-4, 6-2