A 46-year-old Big Lake man died July 7, three days after he suffered electrical shock while charging a boat battery as he stood in a shallow portion of Eagle Lake in Orrock Township.
According to the Sherburne County Sheriff’s Office, Daniel Petersen was standing in about 20 inches of water on the Fourth of July when he lost his footing and fell into the water while holding the battery charger.
When his sister, Kris Biser, 49, saw him fall, she ran into the water to try to help him and also was shocked.
Sherburne County deputies were called to the scene in the 23000 block of 188th Street just after 2:30 p.m. that day on a report of two individuals floating in the water and unresponsive. They administered CPR to Petersen, who then was airlifted to Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis.
Biser, who was breathing on her own after neighbors rendered first aid, was taken by ambulance to St. Cloud Hospital.
Neighbors pulled the electrical cord from the socket, then pulled the two from the water, the sheriff reported.