Elk River will play in its eighth consecutive boys tennis tournament, this time as defending champion, after the Elks defeated Chisago Lakes 6-1 in the Section 7AA finals Tuesday morning in Hibbing.
The Elks (23-1) will find out Thursday who their state opponent will be. State team play will be held Tuesday and Wednesday at the University of Minnesota, and individuals will be held Thursday and Friday.
“That’s eight years in a row, which is cool, and this is our second year in this section, so it’s nice to get established in this section, too,” said coach Randy Ronning.
About the state tourney, he noted, “We’ve had seven 4-3 matches but we have played a lot of good teams and I feel we are as ready for the state tournament as anyone. We’ve beaten some of the teams that will be there.”
The tournament will be seeded for the first time this year, with coaches voting on the top four. The other four will be matched with seeded teams by random draw. This will be done Thursday.
Josh Gearou in singles, and Josh Chuba/Sam Gearou in doubles, won their quarterfinal matches in the individuals section tournament Tuesday afternoon. Semifinals and finals will be held Wednesday.
Gearou beat Grand Rapids-Greenway’s Gus Sedji Johnston 6-0, 6-0. Chuba/Gearou beat GRG’s Ian Pallin/Cam Dulong 6-2, 6-2. Meanwhile, Joe Wetherille lost to Princeton’s Isaiah Meyerchak 6-4, 6-1.
Elk River 6, Chisago Lakes 1
(1) Josh Gearou, ER, def Joe Turnquist 6-0, 6-0
(2) Sam Gearou, ER, def Vinne Gorski 6-2, 6-0
(3) Josh Chuba, ER, def Blake Lizotte 6-0, 6-1
(4) Nathan Chanthamontry, ER, def Thomas Gillach 6-4, 6-4
(1) Logann Burns-Noah Steichen, ER, def Hunter Haas-Jake Sells 6-1, 6-4
(2) Dan Sargeant-Sheamus Sullivan, CL, def Joe Wetherille-Nick Tran 6-3, 6-4
(3) Zeke Delain-Jordan Haack, ER, def Zach Williamson-Zach Lambrecht 7-5, 6-4