Elk River’s conference win streak in tennis is fixed at 70 for this year after the Elks beat Park Center 7-0 on Friday to close the regular season.
The Elks finished 10-0 in the NWSC and head into playoffs 20-1 overall. They’ve had seven straight unbeaten conference seasons.
“Both are remarkable accomplishments for a team that graduated six of 10 players starters and played so many good teams,” said coach Randy Ronning about extending the streak and winning 20 matches. “It is a nice testament to lots of work put in during the offseason to prepare inexperienced players for tough varsity competition.”
Ronning put Josh Chuba at No. 1 singles for his final regular season match and he won 6-0, 6-0. Chuba, normally No. 3 singles, has lost only one regular season match in two years. Sam and Josh Gearou teamed up at No. 1 doubles rather than heading the singles lineup.
The Section 8AA seeding meeting will be held Sunday, with the Elks likely to get a first-round bye Monday and play at home Tuesday.
Elk River 7, Park Center 0
(1) Josh Chuba, ER, def Alex Philavong 6-0, 6-0
(2) Nathan Chanthamontry, ER, Telee Thao 6-0, 6-0
(3) Logann Burns, ER, def Tou Yang 6-0, 6-2
(4) Joe Wetherille, ER, def Patrick Andresen 6-0, 6-0
(1) Josh Gearou-Sam Gearou, ER, def Joseph Kust-Kumayl Lakha 6-0, 6-0
(2) Noah Steichen-Jordan Haack, ER, def Chinou Thao-Chanza Thao 6-2, 6-2
(3) Nick Tran-Zeke Delain, ER, def Jon Burow-Tony Mangiota 6-0, 6-1.