Elk River beat section rival Chisago Lakes 6-1 at home on Thursday, probably locking up a top seed for playoffs.
The lone loss came at No. 2 doubles in a marathon that ended an hour and 15 minutes after the rest as Joe Wetherille and Nick Tran dropped a nail-biter, 6-4, 4-6, 6-7.
“Overall, the team played really well against one of the top three teams in the section,” said coach Randy Ronning.
The Elks, ranked No. 2 in Class AA, are 19-1 with one match left, against Park Center on Friday, before sectionals.
Elks 6, Chisago Lakes 1
(1) Sam Gearou, ER, def Joe Turnquist 6-0, 6-0
(2) Josh Gearou, ER, def Vinnie Gorski 6-2, 6-0
(3) Josh Chuba, ER, def Blake Lizotke 6-2, 6-2
(4) Nathan Chanthamontry, ER, def Thomas Gillach 6-3, 6-1
(1) Logann Burns-Noah Steichen, ER, def Hunter Haas-Jake Sells 6-0, 7-5
(2) Sheamus Sullium-Daniel Sareant, CL, def Joe Wetherille-Nick Tran 4-6, 6-4, 7-6
(3) Tyler Creelman-Zeke Delain, ER, def Zach Williamson-Jack Speischt 6-2, 6-2.