Elk River pulled out 4-3 wins over Minneapolis Washburn and Bloomington Jefferson at home Monday, improving to 17-1 for the season. This marked the first time the Elks have played either of those schools, noted coach Randy Ronning.
Three matches went third-set tiebreakers against Washburn and the Millers won two of those to knot the score at 3-3 before the Elks’ No. 2 doubles team of Joe Wetherille and Tyler Creelman prevailed 10-7 in their tiebreaker for the decisive point.
In the Jeffsonon match, Matt McNett of the Jaguars won at 3-singles over Josh Chuba 7-5, 6-4, making the first regular-season loss for Chuba in two years. In fact, the Elk senior co-captain had not lost a set in that span. Zeke Delain and Jordan Haack picked up the fourth point at No. 3 doubles.
The Elks rose from No. 7 to No. 2 in the state rankings this week, behind Wayzata, after beating No. 3 Maple Grove and No. 2 Edina last week, each 4-3.
Elk River 4, Minneapolis Washburn 3
(1) Sam Gearou, ER, def Andy Pulkrabek 6-0, 6-0
(2) Josh Gearou, ER, def Sam Ilic 6-0, 6-0
(3) Josh Chuba, ER, def Luca Geaudera 6-2, 6-3
(4) Paul Leslie, MW, def Logann Burns 4-6, 6-0, 10-7
(1) Sam Smith-Jacob Toffler, MW, def Nathan Chanthamontry-Noah Steichen 6-2, 6-3
(2) Joe Wetherille-Tyler Creelman, ER, def Aaron Chung-Lucas LeDoux 4-6, 6-4, 10-6
(3) Connor deBorhegyi-Jake Smith MW, def Jordan Haack-Zeke Delain 2-6, 6-4, 10-7
Elks 4, Jefferson 3
(1) Josh Gearou, ER, def Tim Larson 6-4, 6-0
(2) Sam Gearou, ER, def Josh Punnoose 6-3, 6-3
(3) Matt McNett, Jef, def Josh Chuba 7-5, 6-4
(4) Nathan Chanthamontry, ER, def Erik Beckers 6-3, 6-2
(1) Jonah Punnoose-Andrew McNett, Jef, def Logann Bruns-Nate Steichen 6-2, 6-3
(2) Tristan Fjelstad-Mike McNabe, Jeff, def Joe Wetherille-Nick Tran 5-7, 6-3, 10-8
(3) Zeke Delain-Jordan Haack, ER, def Nick Niery-Joe Punnoose 6-2, 6-2