Jason Warehime, Otsego City Council
Family: Wife – Kathryn
3 year old Daugher – Taylor
5 year old lab – Harley
Occupation: Owner of Metro Appliance Recycling and Warehime Properties, LLC.
Previous civic and community involvement: I was born and raised in nearby Osseo, MN. In 2002 I purchased a home in Otsego where I live today with my family. My wife and I have been active in our community through church and other groups we belong to that have involved raising money for cancer research, providing Christmas gifts for low income families, sending packages to our men and women fighting for us overseas, providing school supplies to children, and donating our time to local food shelves. As for myself, my life is about community service, since an early age of being involved in cub scouts and boy scouts I went on to become a police explorer for 7 years, a juvenile transport officer and a volunteer firefighter. More recently I wanted to start a community service based business and opened Metro Appliance Recycling which I was lucky enough to base in my home town of Otsego. I have also served the last 3 years on the Otsego Police Commission working with the McGruff and Neighborhood watch programs.
1. What prompted you to run for the Otsego City Council?
I feel, with my experience and knowledge, I can be of service to the residents of Otsego.
2. What makes you qualified to be a member of the City Council?
I have owned a home in Otsego for 10 years. I own a business and commercial property in Otsego. I have served on the Otsego Police commission for 3 years. I found Otsego to be a great community to raise my family and run my business. I am interested in preserving Otsego’s past and present as we move into the future.
3. What are the top three issues facing the City of Otsego?
I see the top three issues for Otsego to be:
1. The need to attract business to our commercial area’s which will result in keeping taxes low for homeowners.
2. We need to maintain adequate emergency services as our city develops and evolves.
3. We need to continue to listen to our residence
4. What distinguishes you from your opponents and makes you a better choice for the position?
I bring work ethic, personal responsibility, loyalty, character, competitive drive, and a relentless desire to succeed. Experienced in business. I am fiscally responsible. I have no personal agenda; I just want to serve my community.
5. What decisions of the council have you liked, and which ones have you disliked?
I have attended several council meetings and witnessed residence who have disagreed with our council and some who have been happy with our council decisions. I think our city council has handled things professionally. I don’t have any specific decisions which I can comment on liking or disliking at this time.
6. What should the city’s role be in improving transportation in the short-term and the long term.
Since upgrades in recent years, I don’t see an immediate issue with our transportation. The cities role should be to stay proactive and communicate with the county and state related to transportation in and around Otsego.
7. There has been economic activity of late stimulating Otsego’s downtown. What more can be done to speed up economic development in the downtown area or further development elsewhere in the city.
We need to have discussions with our current business’s to find out what they like and dislike about having a business in Otsego. Let’s ask them what Otsego can do to attract more companies and then promote our city to business’s looking to relocate or expand. We can also work with surrounding communities to attract customers for Otsego businesses.
8. What will your approach be to balancing the city’s budget. Under what conditions would you support a tax increase.
I would use the same approach I use in business. Look at cutting unnecessary spending. Find less expensive alternatives to what we have now. Rather than looking for more money (taxes) I would prefer to visit our current spending habits and make adjustments. I don’t like tax increases but, I would consider one if it benefits our residences.