Snapshots in time
Test your knowledge of the greater Elk River area by identifying these photos. See the answers below.
1. A grainery, built in 1885, at Henry’s Woods Park. This 52-acre forested park is located on Brockton Lane just north of County Road 81 in Rogers. The forest is one of the best-preserved remnants of deciduous forest in the Twin Cities area, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
2. A carved figure at the Longhorn Cafe, 26175 Fremont Drive, Zimmerman.
3. Mary Queen of Peace, St. Walburga campus, 12020 Fletcher Lane, Rogers, is one of the oldest Catholic churches in northwest Hennepin County. The parish was founded in 1857. The present church was built in 1883.
4. The Houlton building at the corner of Main Street and Jackson Avenue in downtown Elk River dates to 1903.
5. The cornerstone at the former Riverview Community Bank, 9040 Quaday Ave., Otsego.
6. Union Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, 1118 Fourth St., Elk River. The church building was dedicated in 1881.
7. The USS Liberty Memorial along Highway 169 by Zimmerman. The memorial is dedicated to the men who were killed and wounded June 8, 1967, by Israeli aircraft and torpedo boats. Thirty-four died and 174 were wounded.
8. The water tower near Jackson Avenue and Fourth Street in Elk River. It was built in 1920 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
9. The McNeil building at Baxter Avenue and Robinson Street in Dayton.
Photos by Joni Astrup