Elk River is one win from their seventh consecutive state tournament trip after beating Hibbing-Chisholm 5-2 on Saturday at Moore Lake courts in Fridley.
The Elks (19-4) will duel Forest Lake on Monday, 9 a.m., in the Section 7AA finals at Spring Lake Park’s indoor courts. The Elks beat the Rangers 5-2 at home on Sept. 22.
“Forest Lake is such a fun rivalry for us,” said Elk coach LeRoyce Chapman. “Everybody is going to have the play their best. We won that one 5-2 but it was close and one and two doubles.”
Against Hibbing-Chisholm, the Elks were able to sweep doubles, something they had not done previously this year against a strong opponent.
“Our doubles are jelling a little more now,” said the coach.
Rebecca Lieser and Erin Reiner scrapped for a 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 3, while Hadley Purdy-Becca O’Connell and Kathi Opsahl-Lauren Brayden won in straight sets.
Michaela Schulz and Jen Koehler won quickly at 1-2 singles. The other two went three sets with Annika Teske winning and Alyssa Karavitch taking a rare loss at No. 3.
In contention for individual state trips are Schulz in singles and the doubles team of Purdy and O’Connell. Each got through two rounds of sub-section individuals on Thursday evening. The No. 6 ranked Schultz won 6-0, 6-0 twice, over St. Francis and Andover opponents.
Section singles and doubles quarterfinals will be held Monday after team competition, with semifinals and finals on Tuesday.
Winning once and losing in the second round were Karavitch in singes, and Teske and Koehler in doubles.
Elk River 6, Hibbing-Chisholm 1
(1) Michaela Schulz, ER, Mikaela Krampotich 6-0, 6-1
(2) Jen Koehler, ER, Christina Matetich 6-1, 6-3
(3) Emily Milani. HC, def Ayssa Karavitch 0-6, 6-2, 6-0
(4) Annika Teske, ER, Nicole Blogone 6-7, 1-7tb, 6-4, 6-0
(1) Hadley Purdy-Becca O’Connell, ER, def Miranda Morris-Janelle Shea 6-0, 6-0
(2) Kathi Opsahl-Lauren Brayden, ER, def Madeline Pasateri-Emily Warner 6-0, 6-2
(3) Rebecca Lieser-Erin Reiner, ER, Mean Hodge-Raini Haybloom 7-5, 6-4