Tennis: Elks clip Tech 4-3 in regular season finale; head into playoffs 16-4
Elk River capped its regular season with a 4-3 win over St. Cloud Tech on Monday, with Alyssa Karavitch delivering the decisive point.
Karavitch, an eighth-grader at No. 4 singles, battled Tech junior Leah Wurm in a marathon that lasted until darkness was setting in. Karavitch completed a 5-7, 6-4, 7-7 (9-7) victory at 7:15 p.m. to break a 3-3 team tie.
“That was really exciting,” said Elk coach LeRoyce Chapman. “St. Cloud tech is ranked 9th and we are ranked 16th so it was a really exciting win.”
The Elks won all four singles, and lost all three doubles, two of them three-setters.
Elk River finished the regular season 16-4. They will start Section 7AA sub-section playoffs at home Monday.
Elk River 4, St. Cloud Tech 3
(1) Michaela Schulz, ER, def Taylor Tarolly 6-2, 6-0
(2) Jen Koehler, ER, def Katelyn Tarolly 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
(3) Alyssa Karavitch, ER, def Leah Wurm 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
(4) Annika Teske, ER def (name not available) 6-0 6-0
(1) Jill Kedrowsky-Lexi Portz, SCT, def Hadle Purdy-Becca O’Connell 2-6, 6-0, 6-3
(2) Sam Eisenreich-Sabrina Sturm, SCT, def Kathi Opsahl-Lauren Brayden 6-4, 6-2
(3) Kaila Burroughs-Sarah Donnelly, SCT, def Rebecca Lieser-Erin Reiner 5-7, 6-2, 6-2