Tennis: Elks repel Armstrong 6-1, have 3-0 mark in conference
Elk River has a 3-0 mark in the NWSC after defeating Robbinsdale Armstrong 6-1 at home on Tuesday.
The singles lineup of Michaela Schulz, Jenn Koehler, Alyssa Karavitch and Annika Teske, the latter two being eighth- and ninth-grade rookie starters, won in straight sets.
Hadley Purdy and Becca OConnell won 6-1, 6-1 at one dubs. The other two went to third set tiebreakers, with Rebecca Lieser and Erin Reiner pulling out a win at No. 3 and Kathi Opsahl/Lauren Brayden falling 12-10 at No. 2.
The Elks (3-1) will continue a busy first week of school as they host Maple Grove on Wednesday, play at Coon Rapids on Thursday, and compete in a Duluth East tournament on Saturday.
Elk River 6, Armstrong 1
(1) Michaela Schulz, ER, def Kristina Conrad 6-4, 6-2
(2) Jenn Koehler, ER, def Sarah Coryell 7-5, 6-4
(3) Alyssa Karavitch, ER, def Sara Wixon 6-0, 6-0
(4) Annika Teske, ER, def Jenny Fischer 6-3, 6-1
(1) Hadley Purdy-Becca O’Connell, ER, def Laura Appelen-Jessica Ede 6-1, 6-1
(2) Amy Master-Emma Terres, Arm, def Kathi Opsahl-Lauren Brayden 6-4, 1-6, 12-10
(3) Rebecca Lieser-Erin Reiner, ER, def Rachel Kuelbs-Kelsie Ostdiek 4-6, 6-1, 10-3