Tennis: Elks trip Andover 7-0, reach section semifinals
Elk River’s undefeated tennis team started its bid for a state championship by sweeping past Andover 7-0 on Tuesday at home.
The victory in the second round of Section 7AAA (they had a first-round bye) puts the Elks (26-0) in the semifinals next Tuesday in St. Francis.
The four teams competing will be the Elks and Forest Lake from the south, and Duluth East and Hibbing-Chisholm from the north.
The Elks are ranked first in the metro area by the Star-Tribune, and second in the state behind defending champion Rochester Mayo in the coaches’ association top ten.
Singles, doubles next
The Elks will enter sub-section singles and doubles on Thursday at St. Francis.
Josh and Sam Gearou, the Elks one-two singles players for the third year and still just freshmen, will enter doubles along with seniors Ryan Ness and Mitchel Brandell.
The Ness-Brandell team beat the Gearou’s in playoff and will be seeded first. Last year, both those tandems reached state, and both reached the consolation finals with the Gearou’s winning.
Entering singles will be junior Josh Chuba (seeded third) and senior Matt Odegard (eighth). The Elks’ section includes two-time state champion Dusty Boyer of Forest Lake.
Elk River 7, Andover 0
(1) Josh Gearou, ER, def Grant Johnson 6-0, 6-3
(2) Sam Gearou, ER, def Bobby Munoz 6-0, 6-0
(3) Ryan Ness, ER, def Erik Jones 6-3, 6-4
(4) Matt Odegard, ER, def Dillon Danforth 6-2, 6-0
(1) Mitchel Brandell-Josh Chuba, ER, def Nate Thelen-Sam Schindler 6-1, 6-0
(2) Dylan Berger-Jesse Bragg, ER, def Peter Jones-Mitch Ries 6-0, 6-0
(3) Nathan Chanthamontry-Steve Delain, ER, won by forfeit