In a season where the Elk River tennis team has designs on a state championship, and has been chewing up top-ten ranked teams all seasons, the Elks have also taken care of the first order of business, winning the Northwest Suburban Conference championship, again.
The No. 2 ranked Elks beat Armstrong 7-0 on Thursday in Robbinsdale, finishing 10-0 in conference with their sixth straight crown and 60th straight conference victory.
Maple Grove, ranked No. 10, was runner-up at 9-1, followed by Centennial 8-2 and Armstrong 7-3.
“That wraps up the conference, and now we’ve got Edina coming up Saturday, and that should be a great match,” said coach Randy Ronning.
The Elks (25-0) will host No. 9 ranked Edina on Saturday, 10 a.m., to cap the regular season.
Elk River 7, Armstrong 0
(1) Josh Gearou, ER, def Mark Conrad 6-2, 6-0
(2) Ryan Ness, ER, def Nikita Snezhkoi 6-4, 6-2
(3) Josh Chuba, ER, def Nathaniel Rudd 6-1, 6-2
(2) Jesse Bragg, ER, def Mike Seaburg 6-3, 6-2
(1) Mitchel Brandell-Sam Gearou, ER, def Hunter Fernelius-Nate Virnig 6-2, 6-2
(2) Matt Odegard-Dylan Berger, ER, def Sam Jordan-Matt Holten 6-1, 6-1
(3) Nathan Chanthamontry-Steve Delain, ER, def Aaron Fine-Nick Williams 6-2, 6-4