Tennis: Elks (20-0) hand Staples-Motley first loss, also clip Osseo
by Bruce Strand, Sports editor
A late-season duel of unbeaten teams was won quickly by Elk River 7-0 over Staples-Motley at home on Thursday, while the Elks also beat conference rival Osseo 7-0 and improved to 20-0 for the season.
“Staples was unbeaten, but of course they haven’t been playing a schedule like we have. But there were some good matches,” said Elk coach Randy Ronning.
The Cardinals were a late addition to the schedule, said Ronning. Their schedule had a couple holes in it, and the coach asked if they could come down and play on a date when the Elks were already scheduled to make it a triangular.
With the win over Osseo, the Elks are 8-0 in the NWSC this year, and extended their conference win streak to 58.
Seniors Matt Odegard and Ryan Ness had a chance to play No. 1 singles on Thursday with Odegard winning 6-2, 6-0 against Osseo, and Ness winning 6-1, 6-0 against Staples-Motley. Ronning said he wanted his top three senior veterans to have at least one outing at No. 1. Mitchel Brandell got his chance previously.
Elk freshmen Josh and Sam Gearou, normally at 1-2 singles, played 1-doubles against a Staple-Motley team that had not lost a set all season, and beat them 6-1, 6-0.
The No. 2 ranked Elks have a home quad Saturday with St. Cloud Tech, Duluth East, and No. 5 Minnetonka on hand, starting 10 a.m.
Outplayed Eden Prairie in scrimmage
The Elks, who have beaten No. 3 Wayzata, No. 7 Eagan, No. 8 Mahtomedi, and No. 10 Maple Grove, added No. 4 Eden Prairie to that list on Monday although it was just a scrimmage. Ronning reported that the Elks won five of seven matches.
“We are playing great,” he acknowledged. “Just rolling.”
The Elks will host No. 9 Edina a week from Saturday.
Elk River 7, Osseo 0
(1) Matt Odegard, ER, def Peter Berno 6-2, 6-0
(2) Ryan Ness, ER, def Ryan Peterson 6-0, 6-0
(3) Josh Chuba, ER, def Cody Werner 6-0, 6-0
(4) Jesse Bragg, ER, def Adam Hammer 6-0, 6-1
(1) Mitchel Brandell-Josh Gearou, ER, def John Edwards-Sa Mason 6-1, 6-0
(2) Sam Gearou-Dylan Berger, ER, def Riley Dahl-Thor Thao 6-0, 6-0
(3) Nathan Chanthamontry-Steve Delain, ER, def Josh Mulvaney-Nick Chevekos 6-0, 6-0
Elk River 7, Staples-Motley 0
(1) Ryan Ness, ER, def Guthrie Coughlin 6-1, 6-0
(2) Mitchel Brandell, ER, def Matt Spar 6-1, 6-0
(3) Matt Odegard, ER, def Dan Gartner 6-0, 6-0
(4) Josh Chuba, ER, def Lucas Jimenez 6-0, 6-0
(1) Josh Gearou-Sam Gearou, ER, def Shane Seuss-Josh Solway 6-2, 6-1
(2) Dylan Berger-Jesse Bragg, ER, def Grant Longbella-Dale Vogt 6-1, 6-2
(3) Nathan Chanthamontry-Logann Burns, ER, def Bernardo Freitas-Colton Paskewitz 6-1, 6-0