Number one doubles was the marquee match Tuesday as the unbeaten Elk River Elks blanked the Andover Huskies 7-0.
“Andover put two of their three best players together at No. 1 doubles, Grant Johnson and Bobby Munoz,” noted Elk coach Randy Ronning. “They were a very good doubles team, but not good enough to beat Ryan Ness and Mitchel Brandell.”
Ness and Brandell, Elk senior standouts who are seldom paired, won 6-3, 6-2, in what the coach called an “entertaining” match.
The Elks (5-0 conference, 13-0 overall) posted their 55th straight Northwest Suburban Conference win. They will host Blaine on Thursday.
Elks ranked 2nd in state
The Elks were installed at No. 2 in the state coaches association rankings on Tuesday behind defending state champion Rochester Mayo. Wayzata, Eden Prairie and Minnetonka are 3-4-5.
Elk River 7, Andover 0
(1) Sam Gearou, ER, def Erik Jones 6-1, 6-1
(2) Josh Gearou, ER, def Dilton Danforth 6-0, 6-0
(3) Matt Odegard, ER, def Nate Thelen 6-1, 6-0
(4) Josh Chuba, ER, def Sam Schedler 6-0, 6-0
(1) Ryan Ness-Mitchel Brandell, ER, def Grant Johnson-Bobby Jones 6-3, 6-2
(2) Dylan Berger-Jesse Bragg, ER, def Cody Barth-Peter Jones 6-1, 6-0
(3) Nathan Chamthamontry-Steve Delain, ER, def Ben Fellerman-Cody Sage 6-0, 6-0