Fire at Goodwill limited to floor washer
by Jim Boyle
An Elk River Police officer extinguished a fire Saturday night at Goodwill in Elk River.
Elk River Police and Fire were called to Elk River Goodwill after a fire alarm sounded there at about 9 p.m. Saturday night.
A floor washer that was charging apparently had an electrical malfunction that caused the fire that set off the alarm.
An Elk River officer arrived to find the machine on fire and took action to extinguish the fire. The holding area did manage to fill with smoke, according to Elk River Fire Chief John Cunningham.
“The officer’s efforts prevented the fire from spreading,” Cunningham said. “He deserves all the credit.”
Because the fire was contained to the unit itself, Elk River Fire was only on the scene for about an hour.