Candle believed to have started Elk River house fire

by Jim Boyle

Editor

An Elk River home suffered extensive heat and smoke damage Saturday from a fire that authorities believe may have started from a candle

Firefighters were dispatched to the home about 11 a.m. in the 600 block of Proctor Ave. Elk River Fire Chief, who happened to be in the area at the time of the call, could see heavy smoke coming from the home before he even arrived.

This home in the 600 block of Proctor Ave. suffered extensive interior damage from a Saturday morning fire.

Three residents were home at time of the call, according to Elk River Fire Chief John Cunningham.

They reportedly were upstairs at the time when they began to smell something strange. It became obvious it was a fire when someone went to open the  door to the basement and smoke came billowing out.

One of the three persons suffered minor smoke inhalation and was transported to an area hospital. The others were evaluated on scene.

Elk River Fire, with the help of Big Lake Fire, was on the scene for nearly 2.5 hours to extinguish the blaze and ensure that it would stay out.

Cunningham said it appears the origin of the fire was a candle in the basement of the rambler.

The home, which doesn’t look too damaged from the outside, was deemed unlivable. Residents reportedly stayed with family. An Elk River Police Chaplain and the Red Cross were also called to the scene.

The Ramsey Fire Department was called in to serve as standby at the Elk River Fire Station.

Comments Closed

up arrow