by Bruce Strand, Sports editor
Katie Erickson, former softball and hockey standout at Elk River, is back on the ice as a sophomore in a Missouri college.
Erickson, who played softball last year at St. Cloud State, transferred to Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Mo. to join a relatively new program (started in 2003) that’s currently 1-14 in its first season against an NCAA schedule. Erickson has a goal and four assists.
With the Elks, her 53 goals was a team record for defensemen.
• Laura Ryan, Indiana sophomore diver from Elk River, has won three-meter event in the Hoosiers first two meets, triangulars against Tennesse and Kentucky, and against Michigan and Texas. The former state champion was Big Ten champ as a freshman.
• Taylor Berger, redshirt freshman from Elk River on the St. Cloud State football team, has seen action on special teams (four tackles), quarterback (1-for-2 for nine yards), wide receiver, and placekicking (2-for-4 on XP’s) He’s one of five quarterbacks on the squad, with Phillip Klaphake of Princeton the starter. The Huskies are 9-2 and will host Wayne State (Mich.) in the playoffs Saturday, 1 p.m.
• Devin Waters, St. Cloud defensive lineman fom Rogers, is red-shirting as a resheman.
• Hailey Szews, Minnesota Gophers sophomore swimmer from Zimmerman, has the team’s fourth-best times in the 1650 freestyle and 400 individual medley. The Gophers are 4-0. Szews, former Elk all-stater, placed 14th in the 400 IM at the Big Ten meet her freshman year.
• Three Rogers graduates are skating on college teams: sophomores Lauren Mumm (forward) and Andrea Bishop (defense) at St. Thomas, and freshman Nikki Erickson (forward) at Wisconsin-River Falls.
• Former Elk hockey players Kallie Geissler and Samantha Geissler are playing for St. Catherine’s. Kallie, junior forward, has a goal and assist for the Wiidcats (3-1) and Samantha, freshman goalie, has a 3.59 goals-against in three partial games.