The Union Church building is 130 years old this year.
On Nov. 17, 1881, the church and vestry (which comprised the total edifice for 50 years) was dedicated and became the landmark and symbol of Elk River religious life. Only the Episcopalians had a building in Elk River prior to this.
Union Church is a historic building in the architectural tradition of New England from where the founders came. The land, given by Horatio and Melissa Houlton, was chosen between the two emerging town sites of growing Elk River in the 1870s.
The public is invited on Nov. 20 to the 10 a.m. service to celebrate this high event.
A photo display of the church building will be placed in the Fellowship Hall.