Elk River cruised through its sub-section with 7-0 wins over North Branch and Andover on Monday and Tuesday, and advanced to sectionals next week.
The Elks (19-4), who’ve won sectionals five straight years, are one of four teams headed for the Section 7AA on Monday at Arrowhead Courts in Duluth. The Star News does not have the other teams at this writing.
The Elks had seven straight-set wins in each match, both at home. The North Banch match Monday was finished at Daytona indoor courts after rain intervened.
The Elks got a break against Andover, as the Huskies’ No. 1 singles, Faith Lee, was ill, weakening their singles lineup as everyone had to move up. When the Elks beat Andover 5-2 on Sept. 24, Lee handed Michaela Schulz her lone conference loss. This time , Schulz beat Destiny Lee, Faith’s sister, 6-0, 6-2.
Next for the Elks is singles and doubles sub-section play at St. Francis on Thursday.
Elk River 7, North Branch 0
(1) Michaela Schulz, ER, def Kaymen Ebnet 6-0, 6-1
(2) Camille Kraljic, ER, def Alexis Ferguson 6-0, 6-0
(3) Ali May Kuebelbeck, ER, def Gabby Ruddy 6-1, 6-2
(4) Jen Koehler, ER, def Greta Lindberg 6-0, 6-0
(1) Taylor Lussier Flesher-Katie O’Connell, ER, def Autumn Ruddy-Cydney Bettendorf 6-0, 6-0
(2) Becca O’Connell-Hadley Purdy, ER, def Christina Gamer-Alle Ann Koecher 6-2, 6-1
(3) Kelsey Rausch-Kathi Opsahl, ER, def Morgan VanLingren-Janice Elkerton 6-0, 6-0
Elk River 7, Andover 2
(1) Michaela Schulz, ER, def Destiny Lee 6-0, 6-2
(2) Camille Kraljic, ER, def Amanda Weiss 6-2, 6-2
(3) Ali May Kuebelbeck, ER, def Kiersten Meester 6-3, 6-1
(4) Jen Koehler, ER, def Angela Moriarity 6-1, 6-0
(1) Taylor Lussier Flesher-Katie O’Connell, ER, def Gina Johnston-Lauren Munson 6-0, 6-0
(2) Becca O’Connell-Hadley Purdy, ER, def Hannah Fenwick-Amanda Hostad 6-3, 6-4
(3) Kelsey Rausch-Kathi Opsahl, ER, def Alisha Bird-Grce Bergquist 7-6 (806), 6-2