Tennis: Elks lose dual opener to Minnetonka 7-0
by Bruce Strand, Sports editor
Elk River tennis absorbed a rare 7-0 loss in their home opener against powerful Minnetonka on Thursday afternoon.
“Minnetonka’s an excellent team, I’d say one of the top four in the state,” said Elk coach LaRoyce Chapman. “Edina, Mounds View, Eagan, and them, they’re all up there. Our girls played really well but the scores weren’t what we wanted, of course.”
The Elks have gone to five straight state tournaments. Minnetonka beat the Elks 6-1 in the first round at state last year. The Skippers have four players back and the Elks have seven back although one (Camille Kraljic) missed the meet with a thigh injury.
Both number one’s are back, with Tonka senior Jessa Richard beating Elk junior Michaela Schulz 6-2, 6-2, almost the same score as their state match in 2010.
Minnetonka lists 55 players on its roster in grades 9-12.
The Elks will play in a Litchfield dual meet tournament on Saturday.
Minnetonka 7, Elk River 0
(1) Jessa Richards, Min , def Michaela Schulz 6-2, 6-2
(2) Bri Smith, Min, def Ali May Kuebelbeck 6-1, 6-1
(3) Theresa Tebon, Min, def Jen Koehler 6-2, 6-2
(4) Jeanne Kregness, Min, def Alyssa Karavitch 6-1, 6-1
(1) Maya MacGibbon-Sydney Baldwin, Min, def Taylor Lussier-Flesher-Katie O’Connell 6-2, 6-3
(2) Katie Phillips-Libby Kapsner, Min, def Becca O’Connell-Hadley Purdy 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
(3)) Adrienne Tomer-Emily Livingston, Min, def Kelly Edwards-Kelsey Rausch 6-2, 6-4