Mercury spill being examined
Elk River Police are investigating a hazardous materials spill that was reported shortly before 1 p.m. on Sunday at the Guardian Angels dining facility.
After the call came Elk River Police, Fire and an environmental consulting company responded to the scene.
The building did not have to be evacuated, but people were asked to stay in their residence as special meters were used to test for contamination, according to Elk River Fire Chief John Cunningham.
Extra precautions were taken with a few of the Guardian Angels kitchen staff members that may have been exposed to the mercury.
Is believed to have emanated from a mercury switch on a thermostat inside a commercial grade oven and stovetop. The employees were given a chance to shower and change into fresh clothes at the facility.
Dinner service at the dining site was cancelled that night, but food from an outside supplier was provided.