Elk River-Zimmerman cruised 7-0 over St. Michael-Albertville in its south sub-section match Monday in Sartell, advancing to the Section 8AA tournament slated for Tuesday also in Sartell.
“It was nice weather and we played well,” said Elk coach Randy Ronning. “STMA has a pretty good team, with no seniors. Some experience will help them be even better next year. ”
The Elks (21-2), top-seeded in the section, will play whichever teams comes out of the north sub, where Sartell meets Bemidji on Tuesday and the winner meets Brainerd. The semifinals on Tuesday will be at 9 a.m. and the finals at 11:30 a.m.
The Elks have sub-section individuals Wednesday at Sartell. For post-season they plan to have Josh and Sam Gearou, and Mitchel Brandell and Ryan Ness, in doubles, and Josh Chuba and Zak Steichen in singles.
Elk River-Zimmerman 7, St. Michael-Albertville 0
(1) Josh Gearou, ERZ, def Tyler Shustarich 6-0, 6-0
(2) Sam Gearou, ERZ. def Denver Robak 6-1, 6-0
(3) Mitchel Brandell, ERZ, def Nathan Wendl 6-0, 6-0
(4) Ryan Ness, ERZ, def Aaron Dorland at #4 singles, 6-0, 6-0
(1) Josh Chuba-Zak Steichen, ERZ, def Matt Odegard-Kevin Caron 6-4 ,6-4
(2) Dylan Berger-Jesse Bragg, ERZ, def Thor Holstad-Jason Sullivan 6-0, 6-0
(3)Nathan Chanthamontry-Logann Burns, ERZ, def Zack House-Zach Shopf 6-1, 6-0.