In dramatic fashion, the Rogers tennis team nabbed its first-ever sectional win 4-3 over Spring Lake Park on Wednesday on the Panthers’ court.
The No. 10 seeded Royals and No. 7 Panthers were tied 3-3 with No. 1 doubles still on the court — and their team was trailing 5-0 in the third set.
But Zach Disbrowe and Jordan Roehl caught fire to win the next seven points and the match for Rogers (7-9).
“That was incredible,” said coach Nick Scheevel. “They were a little down, but somehow got it turned around. They pumped each other up and kept each other loose. It was totally a mindset thing.”
Parker Veith and Derek Smith in singles, and Christian Brehner-Myles Lefebvre in doubles, also won for Rogers.
In the sixth year of the program, this was the first time the Royals have advanced in post-season. They will take on Maple Grove there Thursday in the Section 5AA second round.
“This is a very big step for the Rogers team,” said Scheevel.
Rogers 4, Spring Lake Park 3
(1) Anh Doan (S) def. Jared Eidenschink 6-0, 6-1
(2) Parker Veith (R) def. David Tran 6-3, 6-3
(3) Ian Ihde (S) def. Chris Thompson 6-3, 6-2
(4) Derek Smith (R) def. Henry Donato 6-2, 6-1
(1) Zach Disbrowe/Jordan Roehl (R) def. Jake Ponto/Hiep Dam 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
(2) Christian Brehmer/Myles Lefebvre (R) def. Long Nguyen/Charlie Yang 7-5, 7-5
(3) Corey Buresh/Chris Capistrant (S) def. Blake Berg/Alex Lee 6-3, 7-6