Elk River-Zimmerman picked up two more wins against strong teams on Saturday but didn’t get to play their scheduled match against perennial state champion Edina as yet another day of inclement weather changed plans.
“The weather was horrible again on Saturday — most tennis coaches agree it is the worst spring they can ever remember — but we did get in two hours in the cold, windy, mist,” said Elk coach Randy Ronning, “before we were forced indoors at Daytona Club. It turned out to be a great day for us anyway.”
The Elks beat Mounds View 5-2. The Mustangs were missing the best player in the state as Wyatt McCoy was playing in a USTA national tournament.
“But they are still an awesome team, and we had to play very well to win,” said the coach.
Max Sharper, who’s ranked No. 10 in the state, moved from No. 2 to No. 1 in McCoy’s place, and Elk eighth-grader Josh Gearou beat him 7-5, 6-7, 10-4.
The Elks split singles but swept doubles, not losing a set.
The Elks then won 6-1 over Thief River Falls, the No. 5 ranked Class A team that’s been winning most matches 7-0, has gone to “state” six straight years, and lost to Edina by just 4-3 earlier in the day.
The Elks swept the singles, with Josh Gearou at No.1 beating a returning state qualifier. Ronning noted that this was the Elks’ first-ever match against the Prowlers and was great fun.
Because of limited court space and time, the Elks were not able to take on Edina in the scheduled third-round match.
The Elks (17-2) will host Holy Family Catholic on Monday.
Elk River-Zimmerman 5, Mounds View 2
(1) Josh Gearou, ERZ, def Max Sharper 7-5, 6-7, 10-4
(2) Sam Gearou, ERZ, def Isaac Jemielita 6-2, 6-0
(3) Sam Hjeml, MV, def Ryan Ness 6-3, 6-3
(4) Paul Kroska, MV, def Nathan Chanthamontry 6-1, 6-1
(1) Mitchel Brandel-Josh Chuba, ERZ, def Casey Anderson-Cole Thayer 6-3, 6-3
(2) Zak Steichen-Dylan Berger, ERZ, def Tyler Wiegert-Jakab Bartels 7-6, 7-6
(3) Logann Burns-Jesse Bragg, ERZ, def Austein Wiegert-Matt Vogus 6-3, 6-3
Elk River-Zimmerman 6, Thief River Falls 1
(1) Sam Gearou, ERZ, def Logan Engelstad 7-5, 6-0
(2) Josh Gearou, ERZ, def Beezer Skime 6-2, 6-3
(3) Mitchel Brandell, ERZ, def David Szeto 6-2, 6-0
(4) Josh Chuba, ERZ, def Nathan Bates 6-1, 6-2
(1) Ryan Ness-Zak Steichen, ERZ, def Connor Hulton-Micah Rodahl 6-3, 6-4
(2) Dylan Berger-Jesse Bragg, ERZ, def Ben Olson-Fabian Tunberg 6-4, 6-0
(3) names not available, TRF, def Nathan Chanthamontry-Joe Wetherille 6-4, 6-2