Elk River-Zimmerman’s first-place tennis repelled always-tough Centennial 7-0 at home on Monday, raising their NWSC record to 7-0 and overall mark to 13-2.
“Centennial had just one loss in conference play before today, so it was a big win,” said coach Randy Ronning. “Our players seemed ready and relaxed and they played with a lot of confidence. This was a very good opponent, but the match really was not very close from beginning to end.”
Mitchel Brandell, a junior in his fifth varsity season, picked up his 99th win. He’ll go for No. 100 when the Elks will host Anoka on Tuesday.
Ronning noted that Nathan Chanthamontry, who teamed with Logann Bruns for a 3-doubles win, is 5-0 since returning from a torn rotator cup injury.
Elk River-Zimmerman 7, Centennial 0
(1) Josh Gearou, ERZ, def Burke Anderson 6-2, 6-2
(2) Sam Gearou, ERZ, def Aaron Quach 6-0, 6-0
(3) Mitchel Brandell, ERZ, def Chaz Bailey, 6-3, 6-1.
(4) Josh Chuba, ERZ, def Mike Swenson 6-0, 6-1
(1) Ryan Ness-Zak Steichen, ERZ, def Dan Gunderson-Josh Greensweig 6-1, 6-1
(2) Dylan Berger-Jesse Bragg, ERZ, def Taylor Lund-Connor Lund, 6-3, 6-1
(3) Nathan Chanthamontry-Logann Burns, ERZ, def John Schut-Brendan O’Connell 6-3, 6-1.