by Bruce Strand, Sports editor
Three hard-earned doubles victories helped Elk River open its conference season with a 7-0 conquest of Coon Rapids that was a pleasant surprise to the head coach there Tuesday.
“Surprising because they have such a good team and we traditionally have very close matches over there,” noted Randy Ronning. “This was a much closer match than the score of 7-0 indicates, however.”
Ryan Ness and Josh Chuba at 1-doubles beat a Cardinal duo that won their section title last year, 6-3, 7-6. Zak Steichen and Dylan Berger at No. 2 and Nathan Chanthamontry and Jesse Bragg at No. 3 each won in three sets, with Chanthamontry-Bragg winning the last five games to take the third set 7-5.
“All three Cardinal doubles teams were strong,” said Ronning. “Overall, it was a great effort by the Elks and a much-cherished win.”
Sam and Josh Gearou, Mitchel Brandel and Joe Wetherille were all straight-sets winners in singles.
The Elks (4-0) will host Maple Grove on Thursday.
Elk River 7, Coon Rapids 0
(1) Sam Gearou, ERZ, def Chad Stearns 6-0, 6-1
(2) Josh Gearou, ERZ, def Matt Gagnon 6-1, 6-1
(3) Mitchel Brandel, ERZ, def Paul Klecker 6-0, 6-2
(4) Joe Wetherille, ERZ, def Kendall Setts 6-1, 7-6
(1) Ryan Ness-Josh Chuba, ERZ, dec Rumeal Setts-Scott Storrick 6-3, 7-6
(2) Zak Steichen-Dylan Berger, ERZ, def Agassi Mila-Matt Tellander 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
(3) Nathan Chanthamontry-Jesse Bragg, ERZ, def Alex Krutchen-Matt Moorehouse 6-2, 4-6, 7-5